Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Oaks Trees and Metal Roofs May Drive You Nuts!

Something to think about.

I was inspecting a house today and noticed something humorous....I'm sure the neighbors of the home didn't think so. This was a nice, quite neighborhood with lots of large trees.When I was inspecting the outside of the house, I kept hearing noise from the house across the street, sounded like construction and hammering going on at the house and didn't pay much attention. When I got on the roof of the house I was inspecting, I looked over at the house across the street and realized that no one was over there working on it, but the large oak tree overhanging the house was dropping acorns onto the roof. Acorns can be noisy hitting an asphalt roof, but this house had a decorative metal roof and it was LOUD with each acorn that fell....like someone throwing rocks at it. In this type of neighborhood, all noises echo through the entire block. I could only image how this sounded on a windy night at 3:00am! I don't know how long it takes for all the acorns to fall from the tree, but probably not long enough for everyone around there. I wouldn't imagine this would be the deciding factor to buy or not to buy a metal roof, but something to consider if you don't want sleepless nights and mad neighbors!

Kent Keith

Fort Worth Home Inspector

No comments: